UNDP-Tanzania inclusive growth and sustainable livelihoods pillar for 2016-2021 strategy
This strategy paper sets out the contours of UNDP Tanzania’s inclusive growth programs for 2016 – 2021.
The overarching goal is to support Tanzania to accelerate inclusive economic growth with a focus on
- Poverty reduction, job creation
- And environmental sustainability, in line with the principal objectives set out in the Tanzania Development Vision 2025 and Zanzibar Vision 2020, which aim
- To eradicate extreme poverty,
- Promote high quality livelihoods,
- And a build a competitive and diversified economy.
The specific objectives for UNDP Inclusive Growth support are aligned with the priorities set out in the National Five-Year Development Plan II . Which are
- To increase use of modern technologies in key growth sectors,
- To enhance conservation of the environment and natural resources for poverty reduction and economic growth,
- To develop a harmonized delivering system of social protection,
- To promote women’s economic empowerment and develop pro-poor value chains.
These objectives are further aligned with the priorities set out in the draft Zanzibar Strategy for Economic and Social Transformation. Which include
- To modernize agriculture and agro-industry sectors to increase trade,
- To promote a conducive business environment,
- To improve social protection schemes, and
- To promote gender equality and women’s empowerment.