Democratic Empowerment Project (DEP)
The Election Management Bodies(NEC,ZEC) need reform and capacity support in order to enhance their independence and credibility as a way of inspiring public and stakeholder confidence in their ability to deliver credible, transparent and peaceful elections including the constitution referenda which are scheduled for 2014.
Recognizing that Successful, fair and transparent elections are critical for ensuring conflict mitigation and peace building especially in a country like Tanzania (especially Zanzibar) with a long standing history of election-related violence, the National partners made specific, written requests for UN assistance in the early part of the election cycle, and the 2014 constitutional referenda.
- Strengthening the credibility and capacity of key institutions of democracy (NEC,ZEC) to effectively implement their election and political activities. Enhanced credibility and capacity for these institutions will contribute to the improvement of the democratic activities of Tanzania as an overall outcome
- support to NEC and ZEC to improve their ICT capabilities
- support to NEC and ZEC strategic plans
- human rights training for the police
- training for women candidates
- support to voter education, support to community radios for voter information and support to community dialogues to improve the culture of peace.
|Swirtzland||Swiss Francs 2,000,000|
|One UN Fund||US$1,000,000|