Tanzania aspies to become a semi-industrialised economy by 2025, the current national focus is industrialisation guided by frameworks like the Sustainable Industrial Development Policy (SIDP) 1996-2020, Integated Industrial Development Strategy (IIDS) 2025 and the Five Year Development Programme (FYDPII) 2017/17-2020/21.
The mentioned national frameworks for development call for sub national governments to promote investments in indutries and related initiatives. In line with the Government initiatives to trigger development at sub-national level, the Prime Minister, Hon. Kassim Majaliwa noted the need for all regions to prepare investment guides.
As a follow up to the Prime Minister's call, the Economic and Social Research Foundation (ESRF) with financial support from UNDP and in partnership with the National Economic Empowerement Council (NEEC) ae supporting the development of the Regional Investment Guides.
Currently about 17 regions are at various stages of developing and implementing the Regional Invesrtment Guides.
Investment Guides Status
1. Simiyu Region - completed and launched in 2017
2. Mwanza Region - completed and launched in 2017
3. Kilimanjaro Region - completed and launched in 2018
4. Kigoma Region - completed and launched in 2019
5. Mara Region - validated awaiting final input from the region
6. Dodoma Region - completed and launched in 2019
7. Manyara Region - completed and launched in 2019
8. Songwe Region - validated awaiting printing
9. Ruvuma Region - completed and launched in 2019
10. Pwani (Coast) region - validated awaiting printing
11. Tanga Region - Validated the guide is under review process
12. Geita Region - Validate the guide is under review process
13. Kagera Region - draft guide submitted to Kagera region for inputs
14. Katavi Region - draft guide submitted to Katavi region for inputs
15. Lindi Region - draft guide submitted Lindi region for inputs
16. Mtwara Region - draft guide submitted to Mtwara region for inputs
17. Tabora Region - first draft ready for comments
Investment Guides are used to market investment opportunities in the respective region to potential investors. The guides provide investment information to prospective local and foreign firms. It is observed that, investment opportunities and industrialisation potentials in the regions emanate from the regional characteristics and strength.